Decline in Volatility Drives Trading Volumes Lower From Elevated August 2011 Levels
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep. 10, 2012-- NYSE Euronext (NYX) today announced trading volumes for its global derivatives and cash equities exchanges for August 20121. Trading volumes in August 2012 declined year-over-year and month-over-month due to a decrease in volatility compared to August 2011 and the seasonally slower summer period. In August 2011, trading volumes benefited from extreme market volatility in the U.S. and Europe.
- NYSE Euronext European cash products ADV of 1.1 million transactions in August 2012 decreased 50.1% compared to August 2011 and decreased 25.7% compared to July 2012.
- Year-to-date, European cash products ADV of 1.5 million transactions was 10.9% below prior year levels.
- NYSE Euronext U.S. cash products handled ADV in August 2012 decreased 54.6% to 1.4 billion shares compared to August 2011 and decreased 12.6% from July 2012. Year-to-date, U.S. cash products handled ADV was 1.7 billion shares, down 24.6% from prior year levels.
- NYSE Euronext’s Tape A matched market share in August 2012 was 31.6%, down from 36.2% in August 2011 and down from 32.1% in July 2012.
Exchange Traded Funds
- NYSE Euronext U.S. matched exchange-traded funds ADV (included in volumes for Tape B and Tape C) of 168 million shares in August 2012 decreased 67.6% compared to August 2011 and decreased 13.9% compared to July 2012.
- Year-to-date, NYSE Euronext U.S. matched exchange-traded funds ADV of 217 million shares was 30.5% below prior year levels.
1 All NYSE Euronext derivatives transactions count buy and sell orders together as a single transaction. NYSE Euronext European equities transactions count each buy and sell order as separate transactions, NYSE Euronext U.S. equities transactions count buy and sell orders together as a single transaction.