Global Derivatives ADV in April Down 7% Year-over-Year; Up 9% from 1Q12 Levels
#1 in U.S. Equity Options in April; Record Monthly Market Share for NYSE Amex Options
April European Cash ADV Up 23% and U.S. Cash ADV Down 13% Year-over-Year
May 8, 2012– NYSE Euronext (NYX) today announced trading volumes for its global derivatives and cash equities exchanges for April 2012. Trading volumes were mixed both year-over-year and month-over-month across most venues, but reflected some strengthening relative to weak first quarter 2012 levels. Global derivatives average daily volume (“ADV”) of 8.2 million contracts in April 2012 decreased 6.9% versus the prior year, but increased 1.4% from March 2012 and increased 9.0% from first quarter 2012 levels. European cash trading ADV in April increased 22.8% versus the prior year, increased 14.8% from March 2012 levels and increased 17.8% from first quarter 2012 levels. U.S. cash trading ADV decreased 13.3% and 2.5% from April 2011 and March 2012 levels, respectively, and declined 3.6% from first quarter 2012 levels.
- NYSE Euronext European cash products ADV of 1.9 million transactions in April 2012 increased 22.8% compared to April 2011, increased 14.8% compared to March 2012 and was 17.8% above first quarter 2012 levels.
- Year-to-date, European cash products ADV of 1.6 million transactions was 5.2% below prior year levels.
- NYSE Euronext U.S. cash products handled ADV in April 2012 decreased 13.3% to 1.7 billion shares compared to April 2011, decreased 2.5% from March 2012 and was 3.6% below first quarter 2012 levels.
- Year-to-date, U.S. cash products handled ADV was 1.8 billion shares, down 20.7% from prior year levels.
- NYSE Euronext’s Tape A matched market share in April 2012 was 31.3%, down from 33.3% in April 2011, in-line with March 2012 and above the 30.6% recorded in the first quarter of 2012.
Exchange Traded Funds
- NYSE Euronext U.S. matched exchange-traded funds ADV (included in volumes for Tape B and Tape C) of 216 million shares in April 2012 decreased 10.6% compared to April 2011, decreased 2.7% compared to March 2012 and decreased 2.3% compared to the first quarter of 2012.
- Year-to-date, NYSE Euronext U.S. matched exchange-traded funds ADV of 220 million shares was 19.4% below prior year levels.
 All NYSE Euronext derivatives transactions count buy and sell orders together as a single transaction. NYSE Euronext European equities transactions count each buy and sell order as separate transactions, NYSE Euronext U.S. equities transactions count buy and sell orders together as a single transaction.