Continued Improvement in May Trading Volumes with Heightened Volatility
U.S. Equity Options and European Cash Up Year-over-Year
Three Out of Four Primary Trading Venues Registered Increases Month-over-Month
#1 in U.S. Equity Options in May; Record Monthly Market Share for NYSE Amex Options
June 7, 2012 – NYSE Euronext (NYX) today announced trading volumes for its global derivatives and cash equities exchanges for May 2012. Trading volumes in May reflected continuing improvement both year-over-year and month-over-month with heightened volatility in the global markets. U.S. equity options increased 4.7% and European cash increased 2.1% year-over-year. U.S. cash, European derivatives and U.S. equity options all registered month-over-month gains, reflecting increasing momentum quarter-to-date.
- NYSE Euronext European cash products ADV of 1.6 million transactions in May 2012 increased 2.1% compared to May 2011, but decreased 13.6% compared to April 2012. Quarter-to-date, European cash products ADV was 9.2% above first quarter 2012 levels.
- Year-to-date, European cash products ADV of 1.6 million transactions was 3.8% below prior year levels.
- NYSE Euronext U.S. cash products handled ADV in May 2012 decreased 9.3% to 1.9 billion shares compared to May 2011, but increased 9.7% from April 2012. Quarter-to-date, U.S. cash products ADV was 1.6% above first quarter 2012 levels.
- Year-to-date, U.S. cash products handled ADV was 1.8 billion shares, down 18.5% from prior year levels.
- NYSE Euronext’s Tape A matched market share in May 2012 was 31.9%, down from 35.5% in May 2011, but up from 31.3% in April 2012.
 All NYSE Euronext derivatives transactions count buy and sell orders together as a single transaction. NYSE Euronext European equities transactions count each buy and sell order as separate transactions, NYSE Euronext U.S. equities transactions count buy and sell orders together as a single transaction.